The Pontiac Beginner Bee School 2023 session is ready for sign up! Presented by Growing Pontiac and instructed by CombUnity Honey Co.!
The tentative dates for classes are as follows. It is imperative that each student attends as many of these classes as possible to learn the necessary skills. All dates fall on Saturdays and the classes are held at 11am. Each session lasts approximately 2 hours. Classes are outside unless otherwise noted as “virtual.”
- Feb 18th (Virtual) – Introduction to bees
- Mar 4th – Equipment and buying bees
- Mar 25th – Hive building day
- Apr 8th – Installing Nucs or Packages
- Apr 29th – Varroa Destructor
- Week of May 1 (Special event) – Install day hands on
- May 20th – Spring management, Swarm Control, and Capturing Swarms.
- June 3rd – Making Splits, hive strength, robbing and pests
- June 24th – Honey Harvesting and bee products
- Aug 5th – Fall Management, hive inventory, fall feeding
- Sept 2nd – Overwintering, Combining Weak hives
- Oct 7th – Winter management, preparing for spring, deadouts